In this thread I'm going to be giving brad.houghton some studies/projects to work on and helping him out with some basic principles that I've found useful. This will start Dec. 14th when he's on break and will last about a month until he heads back to school.
If anyone wants to follow along and do these projects they are welcome to, however;
>> please do not post in this thread <<
- create a separate thread where everyone following along can post
- I will only comment/critique on other work once I've commented on Brad's project for the day.
The projects will fall into 3 themes; anatomical/figurative, landscape/environment and lighting/colour/rendering Please remember that I'm still learning (especially landscapes/enviros) and that this isn't your only source of knowledge/development. learn from everyone and everything.
The tentative project schedule is as follows:
*I'll likely post a number of projects at once so that while I'm critiquing one comlpleted project you can be worknig on another*
I hope to get through all of these before our time is done, each of these projects amounts to about 2 hours of work (or however much time you have set aside during a day) so hopefully they each work out to be one project per day. You can take this all at your own pace, but remember that the more we do here the more things we get to cover later.
- Studies of torso plates
- Studies of arm plates
- Studies of leg plates
- application of muscles on male and female figure
- perspective, 1 2 and 3 point, creating boxes
- perspective, city scene with building added
- landscape studies
- application of receding planes to create the illusion of depth
- Colour self portrait from mirror if possible, identify colours of light sources and local colour
- application of colours/lighting onto a face from imagination
- lighting as applied to large and small features (ties in with anatomy)
- Colour constancy, bounced light (everything is a light source)
If we have any extra time we should get to some of these as well.
- basic blocked out forms
- Nude figure study
- figure in perspective
- motion of the body and muscle dynamics
- compositional application
- figures and environment in perspective
- other general landscape studies
- heavy ambient colour scene
- skin tone application
- other general studies
I'll post the first few projects up before the 14th if Brad or anyone wants to get a head start.