ROUND #170 :: Napoleonic Naval Hero - CHOW/EOW DESCRIPTION
TWO WEEK CHOW
For the next two weeks we're running a cross over with EOW, featuring a brave naval hero in an epic sea battle.
You have three options with this contest:
a) Do a more illustrative piece and combine chow & eow and meet the requirements for both contests in one image (a battle on a quarter deck, for example)
b) do two illustrations seperately, one with a naval battle, and one just with the hero,
or c) only do one of the two - you don't really need to do both, but it'll be more fun!
For the EOW requirements, please follow this link: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=166423
Now for the chow requirements:
- Design a hero in the navy (english, french, spanish, american, whatever you wish, but ONLY navy, no pirates or privateers please) along the lines of Nelson, Hornblower, Aubrey, etc.
- Napoleonic time period, but with some lee way (hah). Naomi Novak's "Temerraire" series, for example, is based in the time period but with dragons. Some very early steam punk or clockwork punk is also acceptable. You should be around 1800 to 1815.
- Ladies are allowed, but keep to uniform convention, please, no random hot ladies wandering around, no one would know what to do with them. (Also, that was mostly the work of pirates.)
Some books and movies to help you get started:
"Master and Commander" (and the rest of the series, and the movie) by Patrick O'Brian.
the "Horatio Hornblower" book series (and BBC TV miniseries) by C.S. Forester.
"His Majesty's Dragon" (and the rest of the series) by Naomi Novak.
Any Biography on Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson, Captain Cook (though this is a little early, most of the stuff is the same) etc
there are tons of other book series and stuff based in this time period, so have fun!
ACCEPTANCE TO POLL WILL BE BASED ON THREE CRITERIA:
1: DID THE ARTIST FOLLOW THE BRIEF? (allowance for creative takes will be made).
2: IS THE PIECE ARTISTICALLY SOUND? (Is the illustration "finished?" - did the artist pay attention to anatomy, perspective, other fundamentals?).
3: IS THIS ILLUSTRATION THE BEST ONE?
SUBMITTING YOUR ENTRY:
1: You must submit ONE full sized
2: Make sure your name and CHOW # are EASILY READABLE on your entry.
3: Use the Standard format (Below);
PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC
SAVE YOUR FILE IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT:
THE REST IS EASY:
1: No comments before poll is set. They WILL be deleted with utmost malice and petty grumbling.
2: Sit back and enjoy the show. BYOPC (Bring your own popcorn)
3: Good luck to all.
Please review these helpful reminders if you have not done so already.
ON GETTING TO POLL
NEW ROUND RULE: WIPS PLEASE!
SUBMISSION FORMAT REMINDER
PLEASE REMEMBER TO WRITE YOUR COPYRIGHT INFORMATION UNDER THE IMAGE IN THE FINAL BURNING THREAD SO I DON'T HAVE TO HUNT YOU DOWN LATER!
Quick Check: Have You Submitted Your Chow Properly?
- is it named correctly? (ie, "CHOW#100_Oregano.jpg")
- has it been uploaded using the attachment editor?
- have you also uploaded or linked to your wips?
- have you followed the brief?