Hey! I wasn't sure if this should be posted in the sketchbook forum or this forum, but as I would like critique, figured this forum would be appropriate? I'm currently a freshman at MassArt, but working on a portfolio so that I can transfer to RISD or MICA as an Illustration major. Any critiques and advice are greatly appreciated!!
Background: Last year, I got rejected by RISD and Cooper Union, and got into Maine College of art with a scholarship. In November, as a result of National Portfolio day, my portfolio was accepted by MICA, and they said to just work on making it competitive for scholarships. I would love to go to RISD, but as they're stingy with scholarships I want to do whatever I can to improve my portfolio in hopes of getting money from them. Well, and get in, of course... since I'm worried about even getting in >.<! I have until March 1st for MICA and March 15th for RISD to get my art and applications together.
A lot of the work is self portraits (it's much more convenient to draw myself rather than getting someone to pose for me), but I'm working on doing other work to fill in the gaps in my portfolio. hopefully I'll get the opportunity to figure draw this semester, etc.
Additional comments on the art:
- #2: for my "interior or exterior environment" drawing for RISD, which I just finished; not sure if I want to add more detail to the roofs and leafs
- #3 + 4: can't decide whether I like the color or B+W version, but might include them as one piece side by side
- #6: not entirely done, still needs a lot of work on the hand
- #8: not sure if I even want to include this or not?
- #13 + 14: my MICA reviewer said to include these in my portfolio because of the dynamic lines, but I'm not sure if I also should put them in my RISD portfolio (14 won an honorable mention at the Boston Scholastic art awards)
Thanks for looking!!