Hello everyone, I am working on the visual concepts and the 3D assets for a video game set in the world of ancient Norse mythology.
I am putting the idea out here, and inviting any community members who might be interested in the concept to be part of the ongoing project.
At this point the idea is just for fun, but I'd like to present it farther along as a Kickstarter project and see the level of interest that might be out there for developing it into a more fully-realized game.
We are going for stylized authenticity, so to speak. Working from authentic viking-age artwork/relics and stories. Mixing historic elements with our own fantasized additions to the world of Viking myths.
Some details on the game concept thus far:
- Characters will be unique, players can create and customize their own unique viking character with a variety of options.
- Different skill-classes. Players can unlock different abilities with points in a tree. Characters can focus in a single skill class, or put points into multiple classes.
Ideas?: Freeman, Huscarl, Berserker, Völva
- Different combat/gear focuses that contain level-able proficiencies and bonuses to different types of weapons and armor.
Weapons- Axes (2-handed, 1-handed), Swords, Spears, Shields, Hammers, Staffs.
- Spells - Shouts, attacks, blessings, wards, sorcery. Magic involving the power of the Runes.
-Starting in the realm of Midgard..
- Beautiful vistas- caves, waterfalls, gnarled trees, mossy rocks, and wildlife like bears, birds, and wolves.
-The monsters and beings of Norse myth - Jotunn, Álfar, Dvergar, Varg, Draugar, Einherjar, and Valkyries.
-The gods of Norse myth may play key roles within the story, but I'm thinking they'd be more of a "backdrop"and elusive presence at first. In an expanded storyline, the characters might commune directly with the gods, or seek them out and explore their respective realms.
- Normal mapped assets.
- PC platform+ - using Unreal or a more indie-geared engine such as Unity3d.
I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the idea at this point! (And I might be in the wrong category here.. please feel free to move this thread)
Thanks and cheers,
I have been trying to create a collection of as many pictures movies, etc of authentic Viking-age armor, clothing, weapons, runestones, carvings, ships, architecture, jewelry etc as possible, to aid as reference and inspiration for the concepts for the game. Feel free to post any concepts, story/game ideas/suggestions, and reference images in this thread.
What do you think? I can post more and more of the concepts/art and references thus far.